Wednesday, May 1, 2013

“I want to ride my BIIIICYCLE~!”

You should recognize the lyrics from a Queen-song when you see them.

Riding a bicycle can be quite a pain in the “behind” – and I mean that more than just figuratively. I’m not used to a big seat, so sitting on the one I have hurts my bum… TMI?

Anyways, as with pretty much everything else, there are nice and not-so-nice things about riding a bike in Japan…

Where I come from, which I believe is a country of bicycles, there are bicycle paths almost everywhere. Honestly, I have no idea how it works in other countries, but in Denmark, there are usually separate paths for pedestrians, bicycles and cars – especially in cities.
That does not go for Japan. Here, you can decide for yourself if you ride with the cars or the walkers. Obviously, there’s a huge “but” to this.

One is that you’re often not given a whole lot of space on the road, if you decide to ride with the cars, as the roads are already somewhat narrow – well, that goes for everything in Japan.
Another thing is, if you decide to share path with the walkers, you’re in for an obstacle course! Of course, it differs from place to place, but you’ll often have to zig-zag in and out between not only pedestrians, but also lamp posts, road signs, random do-not-go-super-fast-here-pain-in-the-as*-poles.

DSC_0023     DSC_0024

Above are examples of obstructed paths.
This is a nice place with plenty of space with no problems at all.

DSC_0016

 

Here’s an example of a not-so-spacious place. Trucks run right beside you, but it’s not too much of a problem.

DSC_0020

Now, this next thing, I didn’t take a picture of, so I feel the need to demonstrate my excellent art skillz!

bicycle

I came by such place today. The kerbs are so tall you’ll be sure to crash if you hit it.

I mentioned you can go with the cars or the pedestrians as you like. Pedestrians are obviously free to walk in whatever side they wish, but cars aren’t. What about bikes?
- Well, while I don’t know the exact rules, it seems there aren’t really any. Several times, I’ve passed people on bikes, riding on the road, but in the WRONG SIDE. Now that is something I don’t get… but it can come in handy if you like to go a little fast, and prefer not to take the risk of ramping into other, slower riders or walking people…

That actually reminds me of a few experiences I’ve had.
I rode in the left side, on the road, as I’m supposed to. I do nothing wrong.
Going in the opposite direction, i.e. against traffic, and coming towards me, is an elderly man. He, however, does not feel the least bit of obligation to make room for me on the already pretty crammed bit of space cyclists have, and I had to risk my life (OK, OK, I exaggerate slightly) pulling farther out on the road while the arrogant, ignorant old frowning fart passes like he own the road!

image

*Eherm*… I also do sometimes ride in the “wrong side” (if one can call it that, after all), but I always make sure to sacrifice myself, if I pass someone coming from the other direction.

I also take advantage of the go-as-pedestrian-or-car-as-you-like. I’m strategic.
In intersections, cars often have to stop where walkers don’t, so I just nonchalantly take a swing to the sidewalk, cross the intersection, and swing back out on the road. Can’t be doing anything wrong.

So… that was quite a bit about biking in Japan… hope it wasn’t too boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment