Sunday, April 28, 2013

I AM NOT A TRANSVESTITE!

I have to put up with being called a lot of things, but this was a new one for me… and not a very desirably one, at that. Read on, and see how my female-ninja-pride was smashed into pieces…

TransOro

Okay, so it’s no secret that I usually don’t appear very feminine. I don’t even have a count of how many times I’ve been mistaken for a guy, be that in Denmark or Japan.

My hair is short, and my built is quite square and I guess I’m a little more muscular than the average gal – plus, I don’t like feminine clothes. The most feminine thing I do is put on a bit of makeup on – otherwise I’d be mistaken for a guy practically all the time. I know this from experience.

‘nuff whining and explanation, let’s talk about no other day than today!

I was offered a part-time job as an assistant coach on a let’s-learn-English-through-soccer team on some Saturdays.
Today has been absolutely beautiful, and I felt great riding my bike to the school, where it’s held. I had a good feeling – Japanese children are usually so nice, right?

Today was my first time, and first group was a bunch of 10 year-old boys.
I do my self-introduction, telling what my name is. One boy yells out in the entire classroom, in Japanese:
“Are you a boy?!”, to which I nicely explained I am in fact not, eating up the shame/embarrassment that inevitably hit me.

Okay! Great start (not). Later on, I ask a few of the boys to be a little quiet, and yet again I’m met by a question.
Are you an okama?”, and having no clue what an okama is, I asked about the word.
”What? You don’t even know what an okama is?!”, was the response. Class was moving on to the field, so I just left it at that.
On the way there, I looked the word up on my phone, and decided that this must be one of the worst FAIL-days I’ve had in… a long time.

Let me put in a snippet from my dictionary of the word:

Okama

My reaction:

:psy:D::uwah:geg:wth:argh:psy

And how I felt like doing, later:

Know pain like I do!

Never in my life have I ever been called an cross dresser/transvestite. Totally uncool. Not that I have anything against that kind of interests, but the fact that he obviously didn’t believe me when I said I’m a girl is… well…

Anyhow, from that moment, I knew today was up there on the FAIL-scale.
”But he’s just a kid”, you may say… I’ll raise you with the saying:

”You get the truth from children and drunk people”.

On the other hand, that same kid asked me a few moments later:
”Are you Japanese?”
… Just WTF kind of question IS that to a blond and blue-eyed person???

At the end of the day, as a sort of self-therapy (though pre-planned), I did something very lady-like, indeed:
Squats, deadlifts and pull ups! (I.e. strength training).

/rant, over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment