Friday, February 22, 2013

What am I waiting for?


determined-fumanchu-computer-stare
I’ll tell you: One of the major things I’m waiting for, is my Certificate Of Eligibility (COE) which was supposed to have arrived this week, but hasn’t! I can’t apply for my visa until I get my COE, and until I have my visa, I obviously can’t go, and until I can’t go… I practically have no life. I’m that sad.
Anyways, speaking of waiting made me think of what I’m looking forward to in Japan; here goes a few things.

  • Change
    Could technically happen anywhere, but this is set!
  • The peopleI met some amazing people in Japan, whom I intend to pay a surprise visit. It’s been 2½ years, and I haven’t had contact with them, though I did send them a letter, but I’m not sure it reached them.
    I cannot wait to first of all see their reaction, and second, to show them how much my Japanese has hopefully improved! I’m also really eager to see the café/restaurant they were in the midst of establishing when I was there.
    Visiting these people will be the first thing I do when I arrive.
  • The food
    Nattou. Holy cats, do I miss it! Nattou is sticky, slimy, like-feet-smelling, fermented soybeans, usually eaten for breakfast. I can tell you’re already sold on it.
    People compare it to blue cheese or other (IMO downright nasty) cheeses; you either love or hate it. I hate those cheeses (should be obvious), but I absolutely L-O-V-E nattou; bonus is that it’s freakishly healthy. K2-vitamin, important for bone and cardiovascular health, isn’t easily obtained in many foods.
    Nattou topped on hot rice and with a raw (all raw) egg, soy sauce and spring onion – I could live off that stuff!
    Sashimi. Sashimi is raw fish (sushi isn’t; it’s actually just the vinegared rice), and it is very hard to get decent sushi in Denmark. In fact, I think I’ve only had it twice since I was last in Japan, i.e. in two and a half years. Selection is scarce, and the quality isn’t great.
    Miso. Traditional Japanese soup, essential part in washoku (traditional Japanese food). Miso every day!
    Kabocha. I learned quickly to fall in love with this; it’s usually known as Hokkaidou pumpkin, at least in Denmark. The sweetness and soft texture, almost like a soft boiled egg yolk, is just… yeah.
    Shiso. Something that's very hard to get in Denmark - unless you grow your own. It's a leaf, and the taste is super... distinct. I can't really describe it, but it's super awesome!
I think those may be the things I’m looking forward to the most… oh, hearing and using Japanese everywhere, this time also being able to read much of what’s written around me, will satisfy the Japanophile in me, for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment